52 Weeks of Film 01

CAMERA INFO Canon AE-1 Canon 100mm f2.8 FD lens Kodak Portra ISO 400 - 35mm Canon AE-1 might be my go to film SLR when I want to ru...

CAMERA INFO
Canon AE-1


Canon AE-1 might be my go to film SLR when I want to run around and have some fun. I currently own two. The first came to me at a yard sale somewhere around Lancaster, PA. It also came with the beautiful 100mm lens that I shot this photo series with. What a dream lens. The camera is in like new condition! I'm in love with the little light leak it has. Just adds something I really enjoy.

My second AE-1 showed up in my usual thrift store that I venture to. It came with a 28-70mm f2.8 Promaster lens, as well as a standard 50mm f1.8 Canon lens. The exterior is a bit weathered, but it works and the interior is beautiful. Keeping both of these lovelies in my collection. I hope to keep updating you with photos from these two cameras.


***NOTE***
I will eventually post a list to all of my cameras, and lenses.



WEEK 1

My favorite greenhouse in Jamison is being torn down and turned into a Super Wawa. I love Wawa. There's this twinge of irony in knowing that my second favorite abandoned place is being turned into something else that I love. I'm left with mixed emotions.

I called up Kim, and the two of us ventured into the greenhouse in the morning after the snowstorm. It was a balmy 10 degrees outside. FREEZING. We went at sunrise, so it was extra cold, and extra quiet.

**FOLLOWERS** Yes, I venture into abandoned places. If you decide to do this, be wary of your surroundings, and footing. You never know what you might fall through, have fall on you, or run into. Not all abandoned looking places are abandoned. It might just be worn down. Don't get arrested! Respect the abandoned place. It was once loved, so love itdon't vandalize it.

You can see the breath leaving Kim's mouth. I love the light leak beside her.

One of my reasons for loving this greenhouse, is that everything was left behind. From pots, to plants, to clothing, boots, supplies and more. It was built in the 1920s and closed in 1998.

My favorite from the shoot. 7:45-ish in the morning.



The entrance form the roadway is lines with cherry maple trees. I'll be heartbroken if they're taken down. They're beautiful in spring. I've had several picnics under those cherry trees. You can just make out the branches dangling under the weight of snow and ice.


Kim loves this picture, but she's just a little too dead looking for my approval, haha.
Yes, I made my friend lay in the snow for a picture. Yes, she was frozen afterward. This is also a girl who jumped into a lake in the middle of January for a music video. Thank you, Kim!


Afterward, we went to Eagle Diner in Warminster. It's always a been one of my favorite diners and a go to for early morningsbut usually the very late nights. Taken in the reflection of a mirror beside our booth.




You can find a Canon AE-1 in a thrift store, antique shop, or online auction websites like ebay and ShopGoodWill. Shop around for a decent price, but also for a functional camera. I spent $35 for the one I used in this shoot. That's expensive for me. I probably wouldn't have spent that much if I hadn't been searching around for one for so long. I only spent $16.90 on the second one that I own. The $16.90 also included the 28-70mm and 50mm lenses!

- Rachel

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images