Jobs, Holidays, Head Colds, and Finals

Finals have started, and with Thanksgiving, a head cold and starting two new jobs I've been lacks on the blogging. Kim finished writi...

Finals have started, and with Thanksgiving, a head cold and starting two new jobs I've been lacks on the blogging.

Kim finished writing her first script and we had a read-through two weeks ago. For her first attempt at screenwriting, and her first period piece, she did a great job. That being said, it still needed a lot of work. We got together and reworked the story, and weeded out plot holes and inconstancies.


Here is one of the beautiful locations for the 1830s piece.

We started the read-through by just getting through basic lines. Chris(far left) has been cast for Nathan, and Alex(far right) will be playing Cecelia. Ricky (center) stood in for William's character whom we have yet to cast.



I had everyone act out their parts as they pictured them in the script without my direction. We did this, so that when we G+ chatted with Kim, she could watch the read-through in the studio, and take note of how the lines flowed. From there, she was able to make note of inconsistencies and mark where we needed extra scenes, etc.

Since I moved into Philly this past July, I've been without a job. While this is usually a problem for most, I had enough in savings that I've been managing without much issue. I've just felt super lazy. I filled out an application, and gave it to the film equipment lab for the Film/Video floor in the Terra Building at UArts. I did this toward the end of September and waited with little hope. There's always a waiting list for new hires. I managed to get the job though! It's a lot of fun, the work environment is laid back, and my coworkers are so nice.

I love being able to have full access to a film and video equipment lab. I get paid to work with the film and digital video equipment that I love. I can also work on the photography floor. This gives me access to both film and digital, medium or large format cameras, high end DSLRs, etc.

Zombie Turkey is one of the Thanksgiving decorations that hangs in the office at work. :) There are also several headless turkeys and, "Happy Thankskilling" signs. Rachelle on 15 made this for us.

I also picked up another job without even trying! I walked into my History of Narrative Cinema class, and my professor in a stern voice asked to speak with me. I was worried at first. Terrified that I wasn't meeting class expectations since I had missed one of his classes. Instead, he was offering me a job! He remembered how much I enjoyed a steadicam workshop that I went to in either September or October. The man who was giving workshop has done a bunch of steadicam work for HBO and features like Malcum X. He's doing work in Philadelphia, and needs an assistant, so Larry recommended me! I almost hugged my professor when he told me that. I feel the need to also mention that my professor is one of the creators of Rugrats and has Emmy awards from working on it. I always want to thank him for making childhood awesome.

So Thanksgiving came and went very quickly. I was still sick, and just had a dinner with my parents that night and then with my brother and sister-in-law Sunday.

I snapped this of my grandmother. I brought home a 20mm 2.8 lens to test out over Thanksgiving. It's a dream lens. I'll be using it a lot in January for wide shots. I have to be quick and checkout the doorway dolly ASAP before someone claims it over the holiday break! I'm also going to checkout the jib crane for some great shots with that.



I spent Saturday night over at Kim's. I made a bunch of decorations for work while we were talking with some of her friends over drinks. I dropped by the equipment lab on Tuesday to drop off equipment and placed the snowman holiday horror decorations around Kevin's work desk and link chains and bows around the office door.
After decorating, I helped my friend Alex with some of her auditions and have considered casting one of her actors for William.

I went in to work on Wednesday and thought I was running late. I hurried past my equipment space and into the office to clock in. Kevin looked at me, dejected. "You just walked right past it, didn't you?" I stepped out and then just kept on smiling the rest of the day. Kevin had run out to rite-aid and bought a bunch of garland, lights, ornaments, and candy-canes. He then printed out 'Happy Holidays' on paper and wove 16mm film through it with Ben's help, and put everything up for when I came in to work. The equipment lab looks so cute. :) We're super decked out for the holiday season now!


Kevin was focused on taping paper together to make paper stars. Sydney dropped by to check out the holiday display and say hello while on break. We gave her a broken candy-cane.

Photo by Sydney, lighting provided by Kevin who held up an omni kit, because he thought I was too backlit, haha.

The lab had twins! Bonnie and Clyde are the two new RED cameras that the equipment lab is adding to the list next semester. At the sight of them my eyes must have immediately turned to stars, because I was allowed to hold them. They're so beautiful, and nicely weighted. I can't wait to film something in beautiful 4K.

I only have two finals left! One exam and a screenplay, and then it's time to celebrate and catchup with friends. I spent the day from 9AM - 9PM editing my Narrative Production final with Sydney in the lounge on the 14th floor. I never want to see the lime green walls in that lounge again.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images