2015

It's been awhile since I've kept track with this blog. 2014 was pretty crazy for me, I've kept busy with work and my love for p...


It's been awhile since I've kept track with this blog. 2014 was pretty crazy for me, I've kept busy with work and my love for photography. I can't wait to continue the same, and then some into 2015.

I want to start the year out fresh. I'll be posting rolls of film as I capture them over the course of the year. I'll update with camera and film information as I go. Hopefully this will be a 52 week project, but maybe I can post more often?

The most recent film I worked on was Kelly Weston's BARE. It's her senior thesis, and we all worked a lot and killed it. We spent a weekend away at his vacation house in Harrisburg.


WESTON HOUSE (1st shoot)
Minolta srT303b
Minolta 50mm f1.4 lens
Three Year Old - Lomography ISO 100

Love-love-love. This camera is a brick and handles well in low light with the f1.4 lens. I was super impressed. I'm happy with the colors of the film once I scanned the negatives. The negatives became scratched and damaged after I had them processed at a local Walgreens. I won't be doing that again...

If you find yourself in a thrift store or on ebay, search for the Minolta srT303b and you will not be disappointed.

Kelly Weston, before we began our first shooting day.


My favorite photograph from Day 1 of the film shoot. Derek, Kelly, Jon, and Tom talking about lighting setups for the bedroom.


Jon Kobryn adjusting the bounce on the bedroom light. We used several Arri 650 lights.


Kelly and Derek going over camera shot adjustments before we begin to roll.


Director of Photography, Derek Mindler.

Prepping the kitchen shoot. BARE was filmed with the Black Magic 4K.

Doug Gorti standing in for a light test. Loving the 50mm f1.4 right now.





HARRISBURG
The next shoot dates we traveled and stayed at Kelly's vacation home in Harrisburg. It was a very long and adventure filled weekend.

Praktica LLC
Pentacon 50mm f1.8 lens
Three Year Old - Lomography ISO 100

My Praktica has severed me well. It's a beast and well worth $10 when I found it on a shelf in an antique shop roughly two years ago. I particularly love the Pentacon lens that it came with. Searching for the brand lens me to find my Pentacon Six medium format SLR.

Apparently we made a movie in the 70s, because that's what I think of every time I look at this picture of Doug Gorti.

Derek Mindler setting up the Black Magic 4K with the beautiful SmallHD monitor.

Jon Kobryn adjusting lights.

Doug standing in for lights again. That f.18 isn't a forgiving as the Minolta f1.4....

A self portrait before heading out into the cold.

Light leaks, and Doug chilling on the couch. We spent a lot of time decorating that room with set design.

Kelly and a meatball.



Cast photos. Hannah, Rachel, Agron.


Agron before we started rolling one of the final scenes. This was about 4AM.


FINAL SHOOT

Vivitar 28mm f2.8 lens with Exakta mount
This camera has one of the most romantic backstories for me. A woman with a thick German accent and her husband would come in and always have me handle their film while I worked at Ritz Camera. She lived in India where she met her husband and the two ran away together. This camera they bought together on their honeymoon. Before the shop closed she decided to buy a digital SLR since I wouldn't be able to scan and print her negatives. She gave me the camera with its original 50mm f1.4 Carl Zeiss prototype lens. I burst into tears and hugged her. It's by far my go 35mm for special occasions. It works like brand new, and the camera has been around for a long time. I've since bought a different viewfinder and this wide angle lens for it.


A sleepy Lina. We were filming until 5AM for the final shoot.

Pentacon Six
Carl Zeiss 80mm f2.8 Biometer lens
Kodak Portra ISO 160 - 120 film
This lovely I found in a thrift store. It was marked with two lenses for $30. I nearly fainted when I saw it. I've since replaced the leather skin, because it was cracked and perhaps resulted in the low price. It works like a 35mm slr, but it's heavier, and takes 120 film. I also have a wide angle lens for it.

Derek and Tom examining the light. :)


More to come throughout the year of 2015.
You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram.
Comment here with any questions or suggestions!

- Rachel




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images